Search 'Circa 75'

3.12.2012

Circa 75: Space Age Beginnings


The success of the Clairtone Project G series prompted Electrohome, a Kitchner, Ontario based company to try its hand at producing a modern, space age stereo system1.  However, instead of copying the purely esthetic ‘space-age’ look of the Clairtone Project G’s, Electrohome instead actually looked to the Canadian government’s space program for ideas1.  Gordon Duern, Electrohome’s design director, dreamed up the Circa 75 prototype (now housed at the Waterloo Regional Museum in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada) to try and emulate Canada’s satellite Communication program1.
 The result was the ‘Circa 75’ prototype, designed in either 1965 or 1966. The design incorporated a solid state stereo and control systems in a round, teak cabinet with ‘floating’ circular quadrant teak doors, a wall screen television, and an accompanying sound chair, complete with built in speakers and arm controls for the system1.  Duern imagined that the ‘Circa 75’ would be the “communications nerve centre of the future,” and would be able to do such amazing things as track the New York stock exchange, link with far away cities or your local university, and allow shopping at your favorite stores1, 2 – sound familiar?  Duern had imagined an internet-like information, education and entertainment network back in 1966 – quite a forward thinking designer.  Unfortunately, the prototype never went into production – most likely because the technology simply did not exist yet for the design to be fully realized.  However, the Circa 75 series of stereos and accessories did go into production (see advertising images on ‘Circa 75’ Advertising page).

1. 2005. Made in Canada: Craft and design in the sixties. Ed. By Alan C. Elder. McGill Queen’s University Press.

2. 1967. Expo ’67 Official Guide. Toronto, Montreal: Maclean-Hunter. 17.   

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10.10.13

    On a recent trip to Kitchener Ontario I visired the Waterloo Regional Museum with the singular task of seeing the original Circa 75 prototype, only to be disappointed that it was not currently on display. Luck would have it that a helpful volunteer I consulted noticed that the curator was in the building on his day off. We were introduced and James (the curator) was happy to take me behind the scenes to show the holy grail I'd traveled so far to see. I have several very interesting pictures I'd like to send you to post on this blog. My e-mail address at work is wes@marketingden.com. Please e-mail me and I will send you these rare shots.

    I will also send you pics of my Circa 701, 703 and stereo sound chair. Did I forget to mention I own those.... silly me.

    Cheers, Wes

    ReplyDelete